Updates and Events
2016 Fiscal Symposium
Materials Available from CTBA Annual Fiscal Symposium
CTBA’s Annual Fiscal Symposium was held on Tuesday, September 20, 2016, and featured Illinois State Superintendent of Education Tony Smith as the keynote speaker. Superintendent Smith explained the role Illinois’ K-12 education system plays in building a strong economy and how the budget uncertainty impacts state and local communities. A link to Dr. Smith's PowerPoint presentation is below.
The event was moderated by Brandis Friedman, Chicago Tonight Correspondent and Content Producer, at WTTW Channel 11. Ms. Friedman's insightful questions framed the discussion so our supporters could not only learn about the Evidence Based Model for funding education, but could begin to contemplate the benefits to the state from a more equitable funding formula. Our panel of distinguished legislators included:
- Honorable William “Will” Davis (D-30), Chair of Approp, Elementary & Secondary Education
- Honorable Toi W. Hutchinson (D-40), Chair of Senate Revenue Committee
- Honorable Kimberly A. Lightford (D-4), Senate Majority Leader
- Honorable Karen McConnaughay (R-33), Minority Spokesperson, Senate Transportation Committee
- Honorable Robert W. Pritchard (R-70), Republican Spokesperson, Approp-Elementary & Secondary Education
The following link will direct you to Dr. Tony Smith's PowerPoint presentation shared via DropBox. Once you open the link, click on the "OPEN" tab in the upper right corner. This will open the file in PowerPoint. Unfortunately, the videos will not start automatically so you will need to hover over the video box and then click the arrow to play the video.
Download a PDF version of Ralph Maritre's PowerPoint slides: Illinois “State” of Education Snap Shot Presentation (PDF)